View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I installed an "after market" LED strip on our awning when we bought the trailer in 2013. It's still on the awning, all the LED's work and there's no problem with dimming or flickering. I think I paid $29 for it when I bought it, currently Amazon has it listed for $39 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the overhead lights, I bought them in 2010 when we bought our Springdale and took them out to use in the Cougar. I did have to buy more as there are significantly more lights in the Cougar, but the original LED's I bought 8 years ago are still going strong. I bought them from EBay and from Amazon, did not buy the "expensive ones" (I think they were 10 for $20) and have had no problems other than a couple that flickered when I first put them in. I changed those out and have the "flickering ones" for spares if needed, so far, not one failure.

To me (others probably have different opinions) the "key" is to buy LED arrays that are rated 12-24 VDC. DO NOT buy arrays rated at 12VDC because the converter in our trailers operates at 13.6 VDC and 13.2 VDC. That's a "sure fire way" to burn up any 12VDC rated LED's. Sort of like plugging in a 110 drill into a 220 outlet.....

As for buying the "expensive LED's, many people do that and, I suppose, if you have money to burn, why not.. Heck some people mow their own lawn, some hire a neighborhood kid and some hire a professional lawn service. There's various levels of paying for lawn service, so why not the same for LED's ???

TBH, virtually ALL LED's are manufactured in China. Some of the "expensive arrays" are assembled in the US (of Chinese components) and sell for 200-500% more than the "identical Chinese assembled product".... Sort of like hiring the neighborhood kid vs the professional lawn service. If both are using a TroyBilt lawn mower, the lawn "should be mowed the same"....

I've had excellent results with the LED's that I've bought, maybe it's luck, maybe it's knowing what not to buy.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote