View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Just bought a 5th wheel used and was very surprised to have some dealers showing dirty trailers and charging a buyer $1000 to clean and check that things worked as they should. One salesmen made the comment " cleaning them would be like putting lipstick on a pig" I was looking at units more than a year or two old but come on why have a dirty trailer on the lot unless it just came in or it's a backrow as is special. Instead I used that $1000 too buy more trailer from a private owner who had enough pride in what he was selling that it was clean and he was more than willing to show that things worked and how. I did my own inspection the same as you should even buying from a dealer including checking the condition of the roof
For me personally I'd rather be presented with an untouched trade in (whether it's an rv, car, boat, whatever) than the prettied up version for several reasons.
1. I'd like to know if the unit is/was rodent infested vs smelling Lysol and air freshener.
2. I'd rather open a door, or hood, battery box and see dirt, oil or corrosion and know that maintenance has been ignored rather see how pretty it looks hiding the facts.
3. Cost - paying the dealer is more costly in that labor rates for cleaning are high and covering up problems looming after purchase will bite and sting.
4. Negotiating - I have personally been more successful at negotiating a lower cost by listing defects that are obvious vs ones hidden by "lipstick".

This methodology works for me and doesn't mean it will for you. I am fortunate enough to have enough knowledge and experience to make a case by listing the defaults and what the remedies will require and the cost of same. It's my opinion that there are renters and there are homeowners. If you're a renter you call a number when the toilet leaks, a homeowner tries to fix it themselves. In my opinion folks who by Rv's, cars, or boats should by new if they are unfamiliar with the workings (much like the renters previously mentioned). Purchase new and when the warranty expires trade it in and by another new one and do nothing in between as far as maintenance is concerned as it will not be cost effective.
If you are the homeowner type that your purchase decision will be more flexible and successful if doing repairs are more your forte. YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote