View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
OK, I'm confused. The OP said he had a 50-30-30 cheater box but the 20A breaker at the pedestal was tripping. My interpretation of that box would be that you plug it into 50A service and it splits each leg to provide two 30A services to the trailer. If that's not the case, then it's not a 50-30-30. Also, why would he be trying to plug a 20A cord in a 30A service? You would not be able to plug the 30A cord into the 20A outlet without an additional adapter. I think I have read of splitters that combine a 20A & 30A service to provide one 50A, but that would only be one 50A leg, not two like you would get with regular 50A service. I personally would not ever depend on one of those to work. The two outlets may not be in perfect phase, you could get a voltage drop from the difference. If they work, great, I just don't see how they do it.
I believe that is what he is referring to.

However your understanding that they provide one leg is incorrect. The concept behind these boxes is that the combine the hots with a shared neutral. Making a 125/250 circuit.

Presumably two 30s.... Or a 30/20. It's up to the end use to ensure these hots are on opposite legs; and not to overload the neutral.

These boxes are not for those who don't understand electricity.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote