Thread: Generator
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #44
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by compeakw View Post
I bought the Renogy 100 watt suitcase solar panel with built charge controller at the beginning of the summer. I have two 105 amp hour AGM batteries. Up here in upstate NY, way upstate near the Canadian border -- about 45 degrees latitude, the peak I got was about 25-30 amp hours on full sun day on a partially shaded lot tracking the sun as much as possible. It's about 3 pm and today I've collected about 4.5 amp hours. Your experience in Florida may be different, but up here I'd probably need 500-600 watts of solar to avoid running the generator in the summer and this time of year it would be virtually impossible to rely on solar.
Personally I'm not really sold on installed on the TT solar systems. Reason being during the summer we boondock in the mountains and if we get our favorite spots we are surrounded by trees with almost no sun hitting the roof. In the desert, we could use the solar, but if it was summer time you'd want AC and to build a system capable of running AC is very expensive. I just don't see the advantage of a dedicated system at this time. I like the idea of a suitcase system but even that would require 50 to 75 yards of wire to get it back to the trailer for very little gain.

If I was full-time in the desert southwest during the winter maybe, but even then I can buy a lot of gas to run the generators for a system capable of charging the batteries and a battery bank large enough to be worthwhile. YMMV
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote