View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #26
mark1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
I work at a boat shop and we will do warranty work on boats that were purchased at other dealers. Sure it doesn't pay as much but if we gain a service customer it's money for winterization and out of warranty repairs down the road. Additionally in a world of toys many trade in and move up to new boats in relatively short periods of time. I guess some dealers volume is enough they don't care but to us every happy customer that we can steal/retain from another dealer is a win. Curious why some rv dealers wouldn't feel the same??
Having been in the boat business for 10 years and now in the RV business for 18 I do know that they are similar but also very different. I think for many dealers it really comes down to their individual market. I can't speak for other dealers but for us we are the only dealer providing service in a fairly large geographic area and our shop is honestly busier than I would like. Our service schedule regularly is out 3-5 weeks and we are in a Northern climate with a shorter season so 3-5 weeks is just to long. Our shop has been like this for 10 years. You don't find experienced RV techs so you have to train your own. We have added 7 shop bays and 9 techs over the last 15 years but still can't keep up so it is hard to accept transient warranty work that doesn't pay well when we can't keep up with our existing customers.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote