View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Hi, I not trying to push the Cummins Diesel on you. You may be a Ford /Chevy guy and that is OK.

What I do know is that Turbo Diesel Register has a 257 page buyers guide for you to read. This is a down loadable, pdf book for you to read. I believe this will answer all your questions on Diesel trucks. Here is the link, you do not have to be a member. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/m...ersguide.phtml

One thing to remember is that a diesel engine, if maintain correctly will out last a gas engine by 100,000 miles. A Cummins should last to 300,000 miles until tear down and rebuild. I believe the ford and chevy diesel are in the 200,000 mile range before tear down and rebuild.
Jim W.
Sorry to say but the difference is more like 300,000 miles. The mean time to rebuild on a Cummins 5.9 is 350,000. That means that half get rebuilt before that and half after that. I think the 1st half is the hot rodders!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
rustymax. well see you started it now. yes bigger costs more diesel costs more the diesel fuel in some places cost more. Look at all the kenworths whites navistars macks volvo even some saabs (scania) if gas was the way to go we wouldn't be smellin diesel smoke (older stuff) the new stuff runs cleaner if you can swing the extra money and take care of it the engine will last a long time. JMHO and 5cents worth(inflation)
Yes Diesel fuel cost more, and some repairs are more costly, standard maintenance is about the same.

Think about this diesel cost about 10% to 15% more than regular gas, towing I get about 12 mpg, a big gasser gets 6 mpg that is 100% more miles per gallon that is cost savings right there.

That said Diesel is not for everyone! This is a decision you need to make based on research and your comfort level. Gas powered truck can pull even larger loads just fine, they will work harder on hills.
I am in the same boat as many ex-gassers, my F250 460 (7.5L) had a tough time with hills, my 01 Ram Cummins eats them, currently at 253,000 miles and go 7,500 miles on a dino oil change, and don't need to add oil between changes.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote