View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #22
rgwilliams69

Almost Exact Same Situation

Last year we had a 2010 F250 CC SB (5.4 V8) pulling a 2010 Outback Sydney with close to the same specified weight and pin weight you mention. All I can say of that combination is that it was not fun to travel. Would it do it? Yes. Were you tired and worn out if you had to drive over 120 miles or so? You bet. Did I get respectable gas mileage? I don't think so. Probably averaged 5mpg - if there was no wind I could get up to 7mpg. And that was pulling in the flat lands of central Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

So since I had consulted with my trusty Ford dealer on rated capacity towing before buying the truck when I went back to complain I guess they felt bad that I was not enjoying the truck. Long story short I quickly got out of the 2010 and into a 2011 F250 CC SB 6.7 Diesel (with the camper package - overload springs, heavy duty front, etc.). First trip with the Outback, when I arrived I thought maybe I had forgot the camper because you never even realized it was back there. The difference in towing experience is phenomenal. Is it $7000 worth of difference (6.7 Diesel option)? You bet.

Now since I have so much additional towing capacity to play with we have decided to upgrade from the Outback to an Alpine 3640RL. Take delivery of that bad boy on 3/29.

I won't be one of those guys who will say that it has to be a Ford truck (although dang, that thing is awesome) - but I will say that you just don't have enough torque to do what you need to do when you get up into the 10,000lb plus campers. The experience with the 2010 gasser was so bad I might have given up camping altogether.

Hope this helps! By the way our test pull over 20 miles with the 2011 F250 and Alpine 3640RL averaged 13 mpg. That was with some hills even.
rgwilliams69 is offline   Reply With Quote