View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
John, your post is on point. I have asked the same question and received the same answer myself. Don't know what that 2007 "notice" was but it didn't mean much to the manufacturers apparently. I don't know that I recall anyone ever telling me, or reading, the "unloaded" weight of an rv included full propane tanks? Of course, if you are running that close on weights it seems that might be problematic.
Danny,

I think we're all being told essentially the same thing, advertised tongue/pin weight includes the weight of EMPTY propane cylinders and does not include the weight of the propane and/or batteries that are installed by the dealer.

You're right, it's usually only an issue when running very close to max weights. My concern is the guy with a maximum hitch weight rating of 1100 pounds, looks at the brochure, thinks, OK, they say it's 1050, so I'm good to go with 50 pounds to spare. Then the dealer adds a GP27 battery, battery box and 60 pounds of propane to the hitch...... Yeah, his 50 pounds suddenly became a "negative 60+ pounds"...

For me, this is yet another reason not to push "to the limit" and to always have that 10% or 15% of the maximum weight rating "in the bag to spare"... I've read your "sermons" on exactly the same thing, and I know there's loads of others who feel the same way.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote