View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm just thinking out loud here, and I realize that many of us don't live anywhere even close to places where insulated boots, gloves and ski masks are necessary, so this certainly doesn't apply to all the membership.....

Wet cell batteries typically don't freeze when subjected to extremely cold weather. They do lose some of their capability to store and release energy, but the cold temperature won't damage them as long as they are fully charged. That's not the case with "add on water systems" that keep the battery electrolyte level full. Hanging a gallon of distilled water, tubing and a manifold system to keep the battery "topped off", isn't protected from the weather. That system, at least in "this neck of the woods" would be rendered frozen solid, unable to deliver water to the batteries and potentially damaged from the ice expansion within the tubing/manifold.

I guess what I'm saying is that this type of "automatic watering system" can work great for some of us, but not for those who live where it's colder than 32F for prolonged times.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote