View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
In our RV park in Florida the work-campers will report for chores on three days out of seven and work for four hours. That is for a total of 24 hours per week or about 104 hours per average month. For that they get their laundry machine money, RV lot rent and the electrical paid. It works out to about $7.00 per hour at our camp. There are many, many forms of work-camping all across North America. Texas oil fields use work campers to check workers in to the well site. Husband/wife teams alternate with each other working 6 on and 6 off 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They are paid $175 per day total, receive their lot, water, and electricity. They will share their lot with long horns, snakes and the like. They are also required to furnish their own uniform shirts and caps.
Sugar beet farmers in the Dakotas and Minnesota also use work campers to drive their beet trucks. Benefits are similar, but a little higher.
If you investigate work-camping you will find it pays very little, but it does keep retired men and women active.
We have close friends working the oil patch in southwest Texas as we speak. Should anyone be interested I will gladly pass on their email address.

Just to piggyback on what Jim said; in W TX where the oilfields are booming there are apparently all kinds of RV related ways to work. I was talking to an old acquaintance and they were paying him to stay in his RV and drive around the tank batteries just to check stuff. Not for me....I want to LEAVE W TX, not drive around tank batteries but I think there are LOTS of ways to be a work camper that some might enjoy. As for us, we don't really need anything to keep us "active"; by the time I wake up, eat breakfast, stretch out a bit, do some "homework", take a nap, sightsee, walk puppy, have a beverage or three, cook dinner (or reverse order) and watch TV for an hour or so.....I feel pretty "activated".....!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote