View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #40
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
Thanks for all of the help. I actually have done wiring and could probably manage this, but with the permit process and inspections here in our city thought it best to have it done by a licensed electrician. The 15' distance is for the trailer power cable, from the breaker box to the outlet is just 2- 3' below, same wall, so very easy installation, and I have an unused 30 amp breaker in the box. It's just drill a hole in the wall, run a cable down and out, attach the outlet. I have run the AC with 20 amps before, but when I tried it with the fridge on electric it blew the breaker after about 20 minutes. I think the first thing to try is the fridge on propane, but of course, will have to wait now until about July when we need the AC again.

Check the RV owner's manual to confirm the Amp draw for the A/C or look at the on board circuit breaker for the AC. That will tell you what is needed to run the A/C. Good chance 20A is sufficient as long as that is all you are running the the RV but check the RV breaker first.
It is possible that you can just run a regular 120v extension cord 12Ga or 10 Ga and by pass the special socket. I assume you have a 30A female to 20A male power cord adapter. This should be Ok if you have good clean contacts. keep the cord as short and needed (Don't use a 50' extension if you only need 20') Maybe even a short 15' extension will work. but learn the amp needs first.