View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #22
pitman44

I think the short answer is, it depends. When you pull the camper on a site, assuming it's level side to side. You need to adjust the jacks so the camper is level. If your site slopes down back to front, then the back jacks should only be down enough to take a bit of weight and your front jacks will be more fully extended. How much extension will depend on how sloped the site is.

We carry a folding platform/step. It's about 6" high and probably 14" x 18". Some sites have enough slope that we need to use the step. Flat sites we don't need it. This is independent of rather you want/need to use blocking under the jacks. Slope is slope and you need your camper level.

So my long distance opinion is, if your lot is sloped with the front downhill and your back jacks aren't lifting excessively, what you've got is what you're going to have. Camper has to be level. That said if your jacks are extended too much to make the camper level, you probably should put some blocks under the jacks.

BTW, I think you mentioned the back step is 16" up and the front 20" up so that's 4" of slope in however many feet it is between the two doors. Fairly steep I'd say. From the pictures it's hard to tell how much the back jacks are lifting your camper. I'd put some more blocking under the front. It looks like they're quite extended. Raise the backs off the ground and the level the camper with just the front jacks. See how your backs steps look then. I wouldn't worry too much about the noise. We don't have a self leveling 38' 5th wheel. I always raise the front jacks. How else do I get it off the truck? It will make some creaks and groans, but that's normal.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote