Thread: Towing capacity
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Your making the NEWBIE mistake most make. #1 You compare the tow vehicles max. capabilities and use the RV empty weight. Use the GVWR Gross vehicle weight rating of the RV which is loaded weight. You will never tow any RV at the empty weight.
#2 you need the payload rating of the tow vehicle. That is how much can it carry not tow. You have the tow number. Payload includes gear. persons and maybe fuel.
#3 you need to know the tongue weight of the trailer. That could be figured as a guess if you use the GVWR of the trailer and figure as high as 15% of that number. Normal could be 10% to 12% of the total trailer weight.
See my trailer the listed, tongue weigh empty was 545, as I recall, A scale check showed it at 920 lbs loaded for camping. Food, clothing, fresh water tank full, just the normal camping stuff adds up.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote