Thread: Travel route
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We have spent several nights "in a motel" between Nashville/Memphis on I-40. This far out, it's impossible to predict what the weather will be like on any given weekend in February. Remember, it's not whether you know how to drive on icy roads, it's whether the "locals" can cope and whether they'll be zipping by (hopefully) and not plowing through your truck/trailer. Freezing rain in that area shuts down the entire interstate.

Every year for the past 5 or 6 years, in late January or early February, Dallas/Ft Worth has been "paralyzed" by ice/snow on the interstates. It doesn't last long, but if you're in the middle of it, one day is too long. I-40 through Albuquerque is subject to be closed for snow drifts in "mid winter" (Jan/Feb) and it's almost always "hit and miss" as to whether you'll get through the pass or get stuck for a day or two.

That said, from Indiana, I'd head straight south to Nashville, then west through Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas/Ft Worth, El Paso and west. Even then, with that "almost as far south as you can go" routing, you may find a day or two where you'll need to "hole up and wait" for the roads to clear. Once you get past Midland/Odessa you should be OK, so plan accordingly and be sure your propane tanks are full when you start, you may need to "dry camp" a day or two, depending on which cold front moves through or changes direction after you leave home. None of that can be "assured" this early in the season.
Not an ideal route from further south but do you think going further south on I8 out to the San Diego coast and then up to LA would be better than through Phoenix and on to LA on I10?
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote