View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #41
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
4 steel plies tread, 1 steel ply sidewall. Manufacture date is 2016. These are on my toy hauler (6 tires) so maybe 7000 lb. axles? Don't know if that makes a difference.

I've been researching these steel cased tires for some time now and I'm still not clear as to why some of them in the same size designation (ST235/85R16 LRG) are being given different load capacities by different manufacturers.

For comparisons; the new Carlisle CSL 16 (all steel ST tires) comes in two designated sizes, ST235/80R16 LRG rated at 4080# @ 110 PSI and ST235/85R16 LRG rated at 4400# at 110 PSI. The Sailun brand also manufactures both of those designated sizes with identical load & psi capacities. However, Greenball lists their steel cased tires (TowMaster) in that size as both having the same load capacity, 4080# @ 110 PSI. As do others I can find specs for.

No trailer manufacturer that wants to keep their RVIA membership will use that 4080# tire on 8000# vehicle certified GAWR axles. BUT, they will derate them (axles) to do so, if there becomes a monetary advantage to do so.

If there is someone on here that is a member of the TRA or has access to their tire documents (confidential), could give us an explanation as to why the two different load capacities are being used on a tire of the same designated size and construction.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote