View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I have another thread here in the "Modifications & Upgrades" section but decided to start a new thread as the topic is now different.
I bought a tire and wheel combo of ST235/85R16 and aluminum wheels for my single axle Keystone Bullet that grosses out at 4700lbs.
I am confused about what psi I should be running in these tires. The sidewall says 95psi but after some research I now believe that 80psi is correct.
Anyone else run into this issue?
There is a standard industry wide procedure to follow when plus sizing up from the Original Equipment size.

The new tires - at the minimum - need to be inflated to a psi value that will allow them to provide - at the very minimum - a load capacity equal to what the OE tires provided at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure found on the tire placard.

Because an inflation chart used for the OE tires will not work with your replacements you will have to find and apply a chart designed for the new tires.

NHTSA allows the use of an auxiliary tire placard with the size of the new tires and recommended inflation pressures to be displayed on it. It can be placed adjacent to the origional tire placard.

I already said in another post somewhere that you need to show a picture of you replacement tires to NHTSA. 95 psi is an invalid pressure rating for any LRE tire. You know, they will force the tire manufacturer to give you free LRE replacements. They will give the manufacturer the option to recall all tires manufactured from that mold, or, force the manufacturer to comply. Tires like that are UNSAFE!

Just curious: Why do you need to have so much load capacity reserves in your replacement tires when the OE tires already were 2000# (total) over your GAWR? Height fitment must be close to the minimum 3.5" wheel well clearance needed for safe operation.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote