View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #43
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
I'm glad I asked this question! I had no idea it'd spur so many different comments, but I'm glad. Let me add some information that some of you have asked:

I have an 2013 F350 DRW, extended bed. When I bought the truck (used), I put on a B&W 5th wheel hitch.

I'm pulling a 2016 37 ft Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. I recently had it weighed at a CAT scale. Here are the weights:

Pickup:

Front wheels: 5080 lbs
Rear wheels: 6120 lbs

Cougar:

Pin load: 2200 lbs
Each Axle: 5160 lbs

As for tire pressures:

Truck Tires: 80 psi cold
Cougar Tires: 80 psi cold

Now here's a summary of what I've learned, and what I'll consider doing:

1. My truck tires are overinflated. The sticker calls for 65 psi each. I'm interested in reading more about load charts. I cannot find a chart that specified what kind of pressure to use for a given load. Please point me to something.

2. My 5th wheel hitch has no absorbing capability, nor does the pin box on the Cougar. I'll look into options based on many of your suggestions.

3. The damage done to the 5th wheel because of all the vibrations is extensive. One of the slideouts almost takes a wall out with it every time it moves in and out (currently at the shop for repair). One of the hanging pendant lights broke from the ceiling. An emergency window fell off while driving. And that's only the start of it. I will DEFINITELY be looking into MorRide options. I realize that the suspension on a 5th wheel is like a foundation of a house -- if it's not right then nothing else will be right.

4. I will keep the Cougar, and not even think about a class A.

Another question: Someone recommended that I load the F350 with a couple TONS of bricks to smooth out the load. The rear axle on the 350 is currently at 6120 lbs, while the maximum load is 9650 lbs. I can't imagine hauling around a bunch of bricks. I wonder if I should considering changing the rear suspension of the truck for a max rear axle weight of, say, 7000 lbs?

Thanks for all your help!
Yes, your truck tires are extremely overinflated! you are at 80 psi where 65 psi is for a rear axle at about 9,650# you are at 6,120# about 3,500# light. In reality your rears should be closer to 50 psi to 55 psi so over inflated by about 25 psi.

The other issue I see is your 5er is pin light! your pin of 2,200# on a total 5er weight of 12,520# which is 17.5%, you should be closer to 22% or slightly heaver. I am at 2,700# on 12,500#.

I would not make changes to the suspension, just lower your tire pressure.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote