View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncatva View Post
Thank you for reply

The floor plan is one that I really like I feel these plans make it more like home. I'm just new to the 5th wheel class and I see so many stories about the libberts chassis's in the pin box areas. Now I know you don't here everything in these stories like on the overload it all the time changed out the the hitch to a differnt design or to a goose design. I already on spending some time with the owner going over everything and making sure everything is in good working order.
Lippert builds about 95% of all fifth wheel chassis for the entire RV industry. There are a couple of "small, luxury custom RV builders that construct their own chassis, but all the rest, from Forest River, THOR, Fleetwood (the biggest manufacturers) all use Lippert chassis...

Honestly, from about 2010 to present, I don't believe you can buy a "modest or moderately priced fifth wheel that isn't constructed on a Lippert chassis.

So, essentially, you'll either have to "live with Lippert" or not own a fifth wheel.

As for your concern about "superstructure frame cracks", of the half million or so fifth wheels built from about 2000 to current, you can likely count the number of people who have reported cracks to be in the "less than 1/10 of 1 percent"... I'd suspect that on a 2014 Cougar fifth wheel, unless it's sat immobile since it was built, if there's a problem with superstructure cracking, it'll be visible in the lower roadside front corner of the upper slide opening. If you don't see a crack there or signs of a crack, then it's probable that there's no cracking potential to worry about. These things don't typically go for 6 or 7 years, then suddenly develop a "long reported and discussed, illusionary problem... In other words, if it's a 2014 and it's not showing signs of a crack, chances are it's not going to develop one right after you buy it....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote