View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #13
X-Jaywalker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post
I installed a 3" lift on my 33' Forest river 5th/W. I put the lift together myself. I just got 2x3 inch blocks cut to length at Swift steal, a local steel outlet. I then purchased new longer axle "U" bolts from Summit Racing and got 3" longer centering pins from Napa auto parts.

I have a drill press so I was able to drill the holes for the centering pins. If you don’t have a press you need to have them drilled. Drilling through 3” of steel takes some time and they need to be straight.

To do the install I pulled the rear axle up on blocks and pulled the tire on the front axle, like you would to change a flat. This gave the clearance to drop the front axle to install the block. To do the rear axle I put the front on blocks. I just did one side at a time and kept the trailer connected to the truck so it couldn’t move.
I have sense pulled the trailer over 6K miles with absolutely no problems what so ever. It tows exactly the same as before the lift. I even had the trailer in 60 mph cross winds with no signs of any instability. The trailer now sits level with near equal weight on both axles.

This is the second 5th/W I have done this to. The first trailer was a 39’ Montana High Country. I had over 30K miles on it when I sold it with no negative issues.
To get all the parts it cost about $89.00 and took about 4 hr for me to do the install.

I have no problems doing this lift on a 5th/W or a TT. You will have to decide if doing this kind of mod fits into your comfort zone.

Words of caution:
1. If you do a lift make sure you get quality parts that are rated for auto use. Summit Racing is a good source.
2. IMHO….3” would be the max and keep an eye on all the suspension components. I haven’t seen any excess wear from doing a lift but it is surly a good idea to pay more attention to what is going on under there.
Warsw.....I am thinking of doing this as well. Do you have some photos you could share? Question? You said you installed 2"x3" blocks. They were Steel? And what length? I am sure yours is a Tandem Axle. So would that be the distance from the front hanger to the rear hanger? Thx in Advance.
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote