Thread: Rookie Move
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #21
JSquared

Last year, first trip out with our new to us Bullet (upgraded from a popup). Our return trip we stopped to get some dinner. Initially I had planned to park in a large parking lot 1 block from where we were eating. It was a medical office so nobody was there on a Sunday evening. When we pulled onto the street I realized it was pretty wide and there was a fairly large cul de sac I could turn around in and we could park right in front of where we’re going to be and I could “keep an eye” on my new purchase. The DW suggested I stick with my original plan as when we go off the cuff it never ends well. Naturally I dismissed her. It didn’t end well. The cul de sac wasn’t as big as it first appeared and I had to turn sharper than I thought would. The victim, our 7 way plug. Severed right in half by the tongue and hitch. We are 1.5hrs from home with no trailer brakes and no lights. Dinner didn’t taste as good and it was my favorite place to stop when I pass through. While we were eating, I started googling looking for anyone that would have a replacement. Camping World was nearby, Tractor Supply Center, etc., all closed. Autozone didn’t have it in stock. My last resort was Walmart right across the street. Of course not in stock either but did have a nice little package of connectors. A new stripper/crimper and connections crimped and nothing. Still no brakes or lights. Redo connections, double check everything, it all looks good. Nothing again. 10 miles down the interstate is a truck stop, surely they’ll have something. I decide that’s what we’ll do. That’s an easy enough drive, my biggest worry will be the exit ramp when I get there but I’ll drive really slow to be as safe as I can. Get to the truck stop and no help there. Now I’m contemplating abandoning my camper as we are still nearly 1.5hrs before we’re home. I start to find somewhere I can be out of the way before I ask permission to leave it when suddenly “ding”’ TRAILER CONNECTED appears on my display. Verify lights are on and do a few quick trailer brake checks and we are off like a prom dress. I don’t know what happened but I didn’t want to chance it trying to find out. A 4-5hr return trip including a stop for dinner turned into an 8hr ordeal but we made it home safe and Monday after work I had a new 7 way installed with a mangled spare. Always stick to the plan.
JSquared is offline   Reply With Quote