View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #81
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
I'm not desperate to save a buck, but I'm also not desperate to spend one I don't need to. I also haven't complained about anything. I've been rving since I was a little fella, and not a single RV we had, I have had, or that my family members have had were running metal clamp in valve stems. I will make sure that the valve stems and wheels I am running can handle 65 psi and that the valve stems are new. On a new vehicle with tpms sensors maybe not, dunno, but with any old school type of tire I always have and always will have them replaced with the tires. All of the advice here has been noted and is appreciated.

Mitchell,

Not arguing with you or anything else. Just realize the folks you are talking to, and asking questions of, have hundreds of years of experience towing RVs if not thousands. I know you've been rving since you were a little fella but your intro and bio says you're 30 and haven't rved since the late 90s/early 2000s - born in 88 if I recall ......

Not trying to put you on the spot but you need to heed the advice of seasoned towing vets IMO. Steel stems? Why? Maybe you don't need them. Do they give you a little more edge when it comes to a stem failure from whatever the cause? Sure. More importantly to me, you need to get you a TPMS for that trailer. It's a 2005? if I recall from your posts. Installing new tires and stems is a no brainer, but, putting on a good TPMS is too IMO. If you do, you will want steel stems - might as well do it now instead of having everything removed when you do install it. If you think you want to run the TPMS on rubber stems just be forewarned that they will whip those rubber stems all over the place; including to the point they tarnish your wheels. Eventually the rubber will fatigue and crack - steel won't.

Again, everyone here wants to help and keep you out of trouble; even from things you don't know yet. JMO/YMMV I'm sure.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote