View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurle yuh 081182 View Post
Not what I want to hear but thanks for being honest. I am looking at just upgrading to a bigger truck route. Rather lose $$$ than something worse happening.

If I stay with the current truck what are good towing tires?

I know new folks to towing think that the forum is always saying "you need a bigger truck". That is usually because you do to be safe in your particular situation - that's why everyone asks about all the particulars.

In your case, going to a HD truck would be optimum. You said that wasn't really in the cards as I recall. As I mentioned, countless folks have taken the hit and went with the HD truck due to their situations; me included. It's just a matter of safety and peace of mind.

If you kept the current truck what tires to use? For sure do the items I mentioned then go to LT tires. Good towing tires are a matter of personal preference for folks. I've bought/owned most every brand seems like. Many were bought with things other than towing in mind. If looking at towing and any other aspect (off road) you will have to compromise; a good off road tire is not a good towing tire and vice versa. I've gone thru my period of needing to go "off road" and go into the wilderness with a TV. I now prefer the "all weather/all season" tires with the snow rating. Much nicer than the more aggressive treads and they actually perform admirably.

I have switched to Michelin exclusively. A little more dollars but a LOT more tire compared to the competitors IMO. I run Michelin Defenders on the TV and Michelin Premiers on the SUV. I will say that I had wonderful luck with the Firestone Transforce AT tires that came on my truck as OEM. I had horrific experiences with Firestone around the early 90s and never had another one until they came on this truck - huge, pleasant surprise. Do your reasearch on the tires and the things that are important to you. Look at the load range of the tire; too much carrying capacity is a good thing. Going to a heavier rated tire can give a rough ride, but, you can always air it down to smooth out the ride.

Good luck on the choices you have to make; new TV that can "carry" the trailer without issues (best choice); or, upgrade what you have and think you can "get by" without endangering your family although you may have to "pick and choose" what you load/carry vs just "throwing it all in" (again, been there, done that). Whatever path you choose I wish you the best.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote