View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #36
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I can see that and applaud your experience, but maybe we should define slippery. Wet roads or icy, snowy roads. Big difference, I think. Personally, I don’t tow on snow or ice and have not had a problem in the rain by downshifting or using the exhaust brake. In my case, the two don’t happen simultaneously, which I’ve heard happens with the newer, computer controlled systems of tow/haul automatic-EB combos. If that’s the case, it sounds like a negative “improvement” to assist the driving experience.
Agreed, my "simple" definition of slippery would be the opposite of grip. Grip is when the exhaust brake is not strong enough to stop the drive axle from turning, slippery is when the exhaust brake IS strong enough to stop the drive axle from turning. Rain alone would probably not be slippery. I am just advising to use caution. What if there were an oily spot in the road that was also wet? Additionally your rig is always the same rig with the same weight or down pressure on the rear wheels. For me the down pressure on the drives can vary by 10,000 lbs. A set of empties on a rainy road would not be the ideal conditions to use an exhaust brake. All that said, I do use the exhaust brake in the rain sometimes, not saying I dont. I'm just warning people that an exhaust brake is not the easy answer to every towing situation.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote