Thread: Rv gps apps
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
Duramike

Low Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich and cindy View Post
While dedicated GPS units do not have "apps" they do have something called Points of interest (POI) files. These are files that you can download onto your GPS and then see them when you click on POI's. If you have a Garmin, the Garmin site has a free program called POI loader for your PC. Then you go to a site such as POI factory and download various POI files. You can get a file for all McDonalds or Walmarts or state parks or RV campgrounds. Even where is the next rest area on this highway. Best way to customize a GPS to your own needs. We brought back to use an old Garmin and use it all the time with the POIS loaded since our car/truck built in GPS does not have this feature

Speaking of POIS. Here is one that I use with google maps so I don’t take the top off my 5er. Not free but I have had it redirect me around low bridges on a few trips.

http://www.lowclearances.com/

I have used this service with google maps since upgrading to my 5er. The customized POI list is compatible with IOS, Android, and most stand alone GPS devices. I have my map set to warn me if clearance drops below 13’ 8”. Over 7,000 bridges listed in the database. May not be for everyone but I like checking my route before heading out, especially if I haven’t made the trip before. Have a great day everyone, be safe, get out and enjoy the great outdoors.
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote