View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're in a "permanent campground" for a 6 month period, if they have cable TV, you might contact that cable provider to see if they also offer "internet service" for an extra price. It might benefit you to buy the modem and get faster, unlimited service if it's available.

Once you're on the road, either a cell phone "hot spot" or a "mifi hot spot" are your only viable options. Hughesnet satellite internet does not support a mobile system. There are just too many "fine adjustments" with the aiming of the dish. We have Hughesnet at our sticks and bricks house and I can assure you that knocking the snow off the dish is enough "aiming error" to cause the system to disconnect and start searching for the satellite. So, putting the dish on the roof of a travel trailer and walking around inside would likely cause a signal disruption. Not what you want when doing a long book report and losing the first 3 hours of work when the "satellite dumps".....

We use a Verizon mifi, just traded our "stone age edition" (2G/3G) for an upgraded 3G/4G system. We've used the old one for at least the last 10 years and have never been anywhere that we couldn't get at least a "good enough" connection to check email. As for streaming movies, well, we just don't go camping to sit inside and watch TV (do that at home not camping) so I can't address any problems with that type of use.

We're satisfied with Verizon's coverage and as I said, no problems in 10+ years with at least being able to check email. Typically, we get 4G service in most urban areas and at least 3G service in remote campgrounds. Some of the "remote campground" we use are 13 miles down a gravel "2 track" about 20 miles from the nearest town (200 people and one store) in the middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, at least 50 miles from the closest TV station and not a cell phone tower in sight. So, for us, that is a "remote area" and we still get Verizon "mifi" service. We've even had to resort to using internet to text messages when our cell phones wouldn't connect, so for us, it's an alternative to having a means to communicate, even when the cell phones don't have a signal....

In summary, I would try to obtain a cable internet for the next 6 months if it's available. Otherwise, I'd opt for a cell phone mifi device and use the cell phone "hot spot" as a backup for the mifi. I'd forget about even attempting a satellite internet system, they are just too "particular about aiming" to be useful.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote