View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 AM   #35
cookinwitdiesel

Man....sometimes it sucks doing the right thing...lol

Here is an email I just sent to my only real seriously interested buyer:

Hi David,

Unfortunately this trailer would be a very tall order for any 1/2 ton pick-up. Making matters worse, your Raptor has a lot of the robustness that a normal 1/2 ton has removed in the name of performance (softer springs, shorter wheel base, different brakes and tires).

You are definitely doing the right thing in trying to figure out how you can safely pull the trailer you want. RideRite looks like airbags which are useful to level out the ride of a truck but do not improve its load carrying abilities. While I would love to sell you my trailer, my recommendation would be that if safety is a priority (and it sounds like it is, and should be!) you should strongly consider upgrading to a more capable truck. If you are a Ford fan, I would recommend an F-250 at minimum (otherwise, any 3/4 ton or higher model). You have options about gas vs diesel and other stuff, but pretty much any F-250 should be more than sufficient to pull this trailer safely. You may be able to find a "unicorn" F-150 half-ton with the exact right combination of options to make it work on paper, but it will still not compare to a true Super Duty truck when towing and if you do both, you will immediately understand that difference in comfort, safety, ease of handling, etc. The term people tend to use online is "white knuckling it" when driving with a trailer larger than their truck can comfortably/safely handle. The joy of camping goes up tremendously when you are not exhausted just after driving to the campsite.

I hope this helps some. I know there is a pretty healthy market for used trucks and yours should have a nice resale value as it is before Ford switched to aluminum components, has the older naturally aspirated V8 in stead of the EcoBoost turbo'd V6, etc. A lot of people seem to prefer the older versions. Similarly, I have observed that there is a pretty good selection of used SD/HD trucks as well if you do decide to upgrade.

Please let me know what you want to do and I am here to help as much as I can.

Thanks,

<Buyer> wrote:
Hi, Definitely interested, but I'm concerned about the weight. I have a 2010 raptors, which says towing is 6000 lbs. I'm trying to research why my towing is lower and if there are mods that allow me to tow as much as other f150s. Do you know what drives the difference in towing capacity and if I can change something? I read about riderite.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote