Thread: Gps
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
Has anyone used the OHREX brand of GPS unit? Its only $59 on Amazon and has some decent reviews. I really did not want to spend North of $250 for a GPS unit. I know it is inexpensive and it usually relates to the features/programming, etc. I figured it was worth a try at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W84QD37...ustomerReviews
I've bought "more than my fair share" of "Chinese knockoff junk".... In reading this one, there are a few "warning signals" that I see. First is the "Compatible only with Windows PC". Second is the comment: "OHREX probably is the best 7 inch Capacitive touch screen GPS Navigation for Cars and trucks." Sounds very much like a "Chinese legal disclaimer". Third is, I don't see a mention of an internal speaker and there is this comment: "You can use the FM transmitter of the GPS navigation, built-in FM transmitter can provide GPS sound to your car stereo." (you can't listen to the stereo if it's tuned to 88.8 so you can hear the GPS).... Fourth is the negative comments. Many detail issues with the software limitations of the system, lack of correct routing, inability to maintain programming, inability to change time zones based on physical location of the unit (when moving through time zones) and inability to input addresses (unit won't recognize the input address). Then there's the comments about tech support: "They never answer" "I can't get a response", etc....

It may be a good unit, it may not be worth the price.... At least with Amazon, if it doesn't work, you can get your money back within the "return window".... My guess is, you'll likely be sending it back if you compare it "side by side" with a comparable Garmin unit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote