View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
6ofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Hi and welcome to the hard sided camper club! We're glad to have you.

In reading your initial post, I think you may be confusing GVWR with maximum towing capacity. Per Wikipedia, GVWR is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers. On the other hand, the maximum towing capacity published in vehicle brochures is an estimate, as the specific towing capacity will be defined by how the vehicle is configured and equipped.

As we don't know what year your Suburban is or how it's optioned out, I'll only assume it's a current generation 4 wheel drive. Curb weight is around 5800 lbs and the GVWR is around 7300 lbs. This is where my next thought is going...

I have three words for you, payload, payload, and payload. Your Suburban has roughly 1,500 lbs of payload capacity. In this number is your trailer's tongue weight on the hitch, the hitch weight itself, all passengers in the vehicle, all cargo in the vehicle and anything else that you put into the Suburban at time of travel.

Your trailer has a GVWR of 7200 lbs. With a 15% accepted tongue weight, that takes away 1080 lbs of payload immediately. Subtract another 100 lbs for your WDH and you're nearly 1200 lbs into your payload capacity. You see where I'm going with this I hope...

Other specifications need to be looked at too including your rigs GCVWR, GAWR, tire ratings, and your TV's GVWR. I think most of us will agree that they supersede the advertised "maximum towing capacity" of any given truck.

Suburban's are wonderful tow vehicles...don't get me wrong. I know as I owned another variant of the GM full size SUV several years ago (see my signature). But for large families such as yours, it may not be practical (or safe). Payload got me too, especially after I upgraded to a very heavy Hensley hitch.

You'll soon hear from experienced members on this forum that have will also give you great opinions and advice. Listen and form your own opinion of course. But do your due diligence as they say. It'll save you lots of $$$ in the long run. Good luck and safe travels.
Thank you all for the replies, it really does help. I should know this by now but it's better to ask twice and be safe.

Info on our truck: 2009 Chevy Suburban with tow package. Sticker inside door says GVWR 7400#, GAWR FRT 3600#, GAWR RR 4200#, Model K10906, Tire Size P265/70R17.

5.3L V8 4WD with cooling package, Axle Ratio 3.42, GCWR 14,000#

Family of 6, DH and I and 4 teenagers. Most of our camping with be with 4 people as two teens will be staying behind for other obligations. We camp local but do venture to Wisconsin as well. We would like to try to head out West (Yellowstone) and down South (Folly Beach) for a big trip one day which would include all of us. Our big trip would be once a year, if that. This is the reason for keeping the Suburban since it fits us all nicely.

"notanlines" we are from Illinois.

Hoping this info is helpful.
6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote