View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Cracker

Lug Centric vs Center cone

I just had five new tires replaced and balanced. Dexter Axle recommended lug centric balancing vs cone so we tried that first. Watching the first tire on the balancer it appeared that it had a high spot but the tech went ahead and balanced it. He switched back to the center cone for the next tire, it ran smooth as silk, and he balanced it. With that in mind, he put the first tire back on the balancer - now with the center cone - and it ran smooth (no visible high spot) but out of balance. He pulled the weights previously installed and re-balanced it. There wasn’t much change in the balance weights required, aside from their location, but the tire obviously ran much smoother. At that point we decided to use the center cone for the three remaining tires. The factor that convinced me was the smooth running with the cone. Some old f—rts like me will remember that, back in the ‘50s it was quite common to have your tires “rounded” by shaving off the high spots. We used to check for this malady by dropping the garage lift down close to the floor and then spinning the tires by hand.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote