View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Along View Post
There are a couple questions I would like to ask those who say the door tag is a legal weight limit. Let me check your reading comprehension.

1. What is the exact wording and what does that wording mean?
2. The sticker states a certain tire and air pressure yet the vehicle comes from the factory with a different size tire then stated on the sticker.
A. Is it legal?
B. Why or why not?
3. A farmer buys a ‘17 F150 and while loading a big round bale the grabber drops the bale and crushes the cab. The dealer wants a outrageous price for a new cab so the farmer goes to a local junk yard and finds a ‘17 F250/350 cab which is the same for a fraction of the cost the dealer wanted for a new one. He mounts it on his F150 chassis but doesn’t like the color so he paints the cab to the color of the fenders and bed of the F150.
A. Can he legally drive that vehicle as the sticker color doesn’t match the actual color?
B. Can he legally drive the vehicle because the engine code nor transmission code doesn’t match the engine or transmission?
C. Can he legally drive the vehicle because the axle code doesn’t match the axle?
D. Can he legally drive the vehicle because of the GVWR?

Again what is the exact wording of the sticker and what does that wording mean?

Pass the popcorn please!

I guess my point is that the stickers (yellow, white, blue, green etc.) have your GAWR and GVWR on it. Those are important, significant numbers - some folks try to abide by them, some don't.

As far as the rest of the "questions", it appears you are confusing the designations from a VIN vs the legal limits of the drivetrain/chassis. I have built heavily modified vehicles - special use vehicles. Never gave a thought about GAWR/GVWR/GCVWR simply because I knew I wouldn't be using the vehicle to place me near any of the maximums. AND, the only thing/someone that was going to get hurt if things went south was me, not me, friends and unknown persons when a 10-20k lb. trailer went sailing along on its own, with or without me. Obviously YMMV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote