View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #25
Ken / Claudia

A couple points, All trucks under 26,001 lbs have the GVWR rating inserted into the VIN or at least did up until I stopped checking them in 2010. I went to Oregon DMV at a point after years of seeing thousands not willing to pay their proper fees. I wrote out how all they needed to do was look at the VIN code and know the GVWR, then common sense would be to tell the owner the vehicle is rated for xxxx and they should pay for that much unless they only transport a light light product etc that would never put them to the max. They said that would take to much time, it is the responsibility of the owner to declare the weight. The job of the police to enforce it. Then the police become the bad guys when DMV did not do a job they should have. But, I have found insurance companies do a better job then DMV.
I had this same talk with a friend last year. He has a f550 size truck to haul paint, He licensed it at a lower than GVWR weight and his insunrece co. told him he needed to license it at the correct weight fees which cost him about 200 more per year.
I standby my 1st post. Maybe they just add axles out west on trucks over 26,001. Many do and the GVWR is higher and enforced at the combo of axles. Drive out here you will see a dump truck that came as a 3 axle and now has 5, A cement truck, log truck, fuel truck, may have several extra, some maybe ordered that way? But, the ones I checked where add ons. They proudly pointed out the higher PUC fees they paid. And left the scales without over weight tickets.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote