View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Probably need to clarify some things here.

OP is very impressed with the 1/2 ton and the "almost 2500 lbs." of load capacity (which is actually really good for a 1/2 ton) but comes via a lot of magic and mirrors. My HD has 3200 lbs of payload and beyond that a 1/2 ton just can't compare to the truck, or any other HD truck in weight handling.

The 25.5reok (Jayco) is 10k gvw. Figure pin of 2k when loaded up (20%). That leaves the OP with "almost" 500 lbs. for anything/everything in the truck including 500 lbs. for folks and puppy, hitch, toys, gear, tools etc. etc. etc. It won't "fall within the numbers" IMO. https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...wheel/255reok/

Looking at the Cougar 1/2 ton 26rks and it "might" be a decent fit for your truck. GVW of 8800; tongue of approx. 1144 @ 13%. That would leave you a little wiggle room on your payload and make trying to stay within your capacities much easier....and much more fun. It's a 30' trailer and IF Ford's hype about the towing prowess of your truck lives up to their claims, you should be good to go, IMO.

Not a "police" of any kind. Want to make sure you understand what you are getting into and that you get to enjoy the money you spend instead of unleashing a wave of worries and problems when you make the wrong choice because you didn't know. We have a travel trailer and love it. We have looked and looked and can't find a 5th we would rather have unless we get into 40+ ft. and 200k. (yet ).

As far as brands; I've owned one Jayco and it was a pop up. It leaked water thru the floor (bought new). I've looked at Jaycos (and many others) over the years and IMO the Keystone's are going to give you better value, better build and better amenities at a given price point. Jayco used to be a watch word for quality construction, I've not seen that in all the units I've looked at in the past many years. Good luck on your choice.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote