View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #16
Hotrod351w

Here is an update to my switch problem. So after feeling like my brand new unit should have everything working without me have to fix/repair anything I took it back to the dealer. They had it for 5 days and only after I called them to check on it would I get any information about what was going on. This is the short version of what I was told. The momentary switch is supposed to be pressed and while holding this switch then you turn on the on/off rocker switch and the camera would turn on. This had to be explained to me 4 or 5 times due to the fact that a momentary switch is just that and if you let it go it drops power unless for some reason they wire a drop out relay in the circuit. So I am supposed to have a guy hold a switch the entire time I want to use my camera? Lol. I wire very expensive race cars as part of my shops services and we do it often so I’m no dummy when it comes to this stuff. After they told me this I said it works now like that correct which I was told well no. No kidding. I said then how do you no that’s how it works. They said that’s what keystone told them. Well I had already talked to keystone several times so I knew that was to put it lightly BS because they had no record of the dealer calling for any information on my unit. I decided to just go get it back from the dealer. When I arrived the service manager who says he is no tech and claims to no very little (how is he a service manager) gets the tech and we go to my unit where he shows me what he has done blames keystone in a nice way saying that something was wired wrong and that keystone told him to just run a new wire to the camera off the backup 7 way wire. I told him not to worry about it I’ll take care of it. So now the dealer is 00000 help and just wants to cut and re run wire which they claim is what keystone said to do. Now I get the unit home and I’m done playing games and hunker down with paper pencil and plan to pull all the switches down again in the back and omh them out to find all the paths they take and write them down. I turned on the 1/2 bath light and all the garage lights and start and the first set of wires I check the garage lights go off. I do it again and they come on. Humm strange I can control the garage lights from a switch wire they claim is camera. Keep in mind this has the in command system so all the other momentary switches in the unit control lights. I had a immediate ah ha moment that is what I suspected from the beginning. The momentary switch is to control garage lights from the garage. Wow what a concept a switch that controls something in the room your in and not only from the touch panel in the front of the unit. So now on a mission I back up and ohm out a few other wires and pull lights out of the ceiling in the garage. I disconnect 1 wire and the bathroom light goes off. Bingo I pull the switch out of the bathroom wall and there are 3 wires I ohm them out and bam there is the problem they tapped the wrong side of the switch for feed for the rear switches from the bathroom. So everything worked the camera on its own switch and the garage lights on the momentary switch as long as the bathroom light was on. I switched 2 wires totaling about 1 min of my life and all my problems are solved. Now it took me about 2 hours to back track it all but I’m ok with that. I already knew this in my automotive career but just because it goes to a dealership doesn’t mean a qualified person is going to work on anything. Sorry for the long post and any mistakes in my post (I’m doing it on my phone and don’t proof read on the small screen) but my point is the dealership even though they are nice to talk to and make you feel warm and fuzzy don’t no squat. I’m not the average automotive guy I feel I’m pretty advanced with my abilities with all the stuff I do at my shop but it re enforces my point. if you trust yourself and abilities your better off doing it yourself. I plan to help others with what I no so if you ever have a question feel free to ask.
Hotrod351w is offline   Reply With Quote