View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
busterbrown

I think your tire failures are independent of your hanger problems. We would need more information on your tires (DoT date, months in service, load ratings) to determine the cause of those blowouts. Remember, TPMS sensors wont provide much more than temps and pressures leading up to a instantaneous tread separation and tire rupture. 3-5 years of service life on a ST tire is the recommendation by many tmanufacturers. The integrity of a tire is unknown even after a visual inspection as stresses start internally. Older, higher mileage tires may still look good and even have significant tread life remaining.

As far as the hangers failing in redundancy, I cough that up to poor quality control and poor design. I read a few posts regarding hangers that break at a frame weld or twist. I, recently, had 2 leaf spring failures in a matter of weeks on a 2 year old coach with much less miles that what you have with your coach. The OEM springs were the single mono leaf type, that Keystone fits their budget Passport and Bullet lines with. In an effort to thwart off additional suspension, axle, or tire failures, I recently 'upfitted' these components from 3500 lb axles and mono springs to 5200 lbs axles and 5 leaf pack springs along with going from 1760 lbs LRC 14" tires to 2850 lbs 15" LRE tires and wheels. The axle and frame shop also welded in 3 steel supporting members from hanger to hanger in order to provide additional support on those hangers. These wide space axles tend to exhibit much more stress on the hangers in tight maneuvers, pretty much an ongoing occurrence at a campground.

My advice would be invest in a quality set of tires that provides a higher load range than what the OEM fitment was. Secondly, I would suggest having some a reputable axle/frame shop give you options on "beefing" up the spring hangers. A good fabricator may help you eliminate a future failure, especially when your RV mileage is higher than average.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote