View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
craign

Camper Tire and Leaf Spring Hanger Issues

Hi all,

I have a problem with our camper and hope for input from others.

The camper is a 2015 Premier purchased in May 2014. It has tandem axles. We have towed it close to 30,000 miles.

Here’s a timeline of issues.

1. May 2017 - Blew the right rear trailer tire.
2. April 2018 – Returned from a trip and discovered a pair of leaf spring hangers failed on the rear axle, left side.
3. August 2018 – Blew the right rear trailer tire again.
4. September 2018 - Arrived at a campground and discovered that the new leaf spring hangers had failed in the same location (left rear axle).

The tire pressures were monitored via TPMS and indicated correct pressures right until the tires blew. The tires’ treads were not punctured but had torn apart at the sidewall with tread flying off as viewed in the rear view mirror. There was no visible sign of uneven tire wear on the failed or remaining intact tires. After the second tire failure, I replaced all four trailer tires.

The leaf spring hangers failed in identical manner, as though the bolt that passed through the leaf spring had simply pulled through the hangers. The hangers were replaced with parts from a reputable online merchant. The bolt where the second hanger failure occurred was frozen as the plastic bushing (a “never fail”, extra-durable, self-lubricated bushing) had failed.

I have no idea if these issues are isolated or are a symptom of a bigger issue. I spoke with a local trailer repair person who simply thinks that part replacement will solve the problem. I reached out to a local RV dealer who has a large backlog of work and can’t take new work until mid-November. While cooling my heels, I thought that I would ask for your input.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Craig
craign is offline   Reply With Quote