View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Pmedic4

Warranty work by non Keystone dealer

We faced a similar situation on a previous RV, where the closest authorized dealer was a 3+ hour trip away. Doing a little math, it doesn't take long to realize that at best towing my RV 6 hours and getting a wonderful 9 mpg, was going to cost me at least $125 in fuel just to fix several minor issues. This was assuming I was going to be able to stay locally using the RV, so add another $40 to the cost, and the if my typical luck held, they wouldn't have been able to get the work done in one day. Another alternative was towing there, leaving and returning home, only to go back a few days later to pick up the RV, which while give better fuel economy not towing, it still worked out to about $200 round trip.

A local shop charged $90 for the work, had it done in an hour and 15 minutes, and I was back home in 40 minutes afterwards. For the sum of, you guessed it, $125.

Personally I think it would have been worthwhile if the repair costs would have been up to $300 for my time and inconvenience hauling to the authorized warranty dealer.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote