View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Starmaster

Battery Disconnect

There can be several things that draw little power, such as some detectors, status lights on electronics, TPMS repeaters, TV antenna amplifiers, etc. that over time can drain a battery.

The best thing to do is place a battery disconnect switch between the negative post of your battery and where it is connected to the frame. Typically, there is only one wire from the battery negative to the frame so a switch install is easy. It can also be installed on positive side but there can be multiple wires to manage when doing that and proper insulation/isolation of where the wires are attached to the switch are mandatory when placing in the positive lead.

Harbor Freight has a disconnect switch for less that $10, I've used them on more than one trailer and never had a failure, the part number is 66789. Yes, I'm sure there are people out there that think HF is junk, but I've not had any problems with this switch.

Dave
B&W Patriot, Honda EU2000i, Progressive Ind EMS, 602ABCWATER water softener, TireTraker, Rand RVND7730 GPS
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote