View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I think comparing a diesel pusher to a 5th wheel is like comparing apples and oranges. There is no comparison. Both require completely different things and a different lifestyle.

When we bought our current camper I went in with full intentions of buying a nice diesel pusher. You mention that your 5ver and a new truck is a 100k purchase. The diesel pusher we looked at was 400k.....not much comparison. The pusher requires a 2nd vehicle, and drivetrain, which is already paid for in the coach. The list goes on (mtce./insurance costs, how much will you use it to get your money's worth etc) but they really are starkly different as well as the considerations used when trying to evaluate how you will use your camper.

As far as Keystone's response to legitimate repair concerns I can't really complain. Have you had issues? I have had many repairs and I've not paid a cent yet so don't know that you can beat that.

As far as quality....trim level would be considered quality. Solid wood trim vs plastic strips or glue on strips; walls that are attached solidly and don't flop when pushed (ALL brands do it); residential fixtures vs plastic; percelain toilet bowl vs plastic; stainless steel sinks vs plastic; the list is almost endless. Those items are perceived as "upgrades", hence quality. All frames/suspensions aren't the same on all models; another example. Build quality is what you would expect for a mass produced, lightweight box on wheels. I do think all RVs suffer from the "manufactured on Friday or Monday" syndrome.

We've got almost 100k invested in our rig only my first thought wasn't "Keystone, don't screw this up....". I did my homework and I made the choice. My thought is "Dan, I hope you didn't screw this up" since I don't think Keystone will do anything for my new truck, I bought Keystone (they didn't force it on me) and an RV is what it is.....different philosophy I guess.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote