View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
Mikendebbie

electric awnings

The electric awnings are nice and convenient - but I don't trust these things to withstand much wind at all.

I have had several of the the manual Dometics and Carefree of Colorado awnings on my previous RVs for years. Those awnings felt like they had a bit more rigid structure to resist wind gusts, especially when tied down. I used de-flappers to tie the fabric to the side rails. Those awnings seemed to be able to handle a trip to the Texas coast where the wind clips along at a constant 20 MPH all day long. But I have plenty of experience putting those things up quickly at 2:00 am when a sudden rain storm or high wind comes out of nowhere. I was lucky enough to never loose an awning (knock on wood).

The "new" (well - new to me!) electric awnings are all hinged everywhere with (seemingly) no rigidity or ability to withstand wind gusts. Even if you tie them down to the ground - the hinged structure looks like to me that it is more of a "98 pound weakling" as compared to the structure of the manual awnings i have had in the past.

I never leave mine out overnight. If I see those things flapping, bucking and jumping in the breeze - I put them up. I just don't trust them.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote