View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #54
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Key word is "minimum" requirement.

Should we interpret your position to mean that if someone had a 2015 RV with an ST225/80R16LR-E but the 2017 model of the same RV with the same GVWR comes with LT235/85R16 LR-G you would say it is incorrect for the owner to go to the LT235's because that was not the size originally approved?

It's the manufacturer's prerogative and fully supported by FMVSS. It clearly states in the standards that the manufacturer is to fit each trailer with tires they deem appropriate. You cannot change their way of thinking any more than you can change mine.

I am not aware of any RV company or car company issuing bulletins suggesting new or better tires on older model trailers. Doesn't the Navy do updates?

Numerous tire manufacturer's produce bulletins parodically. Toyo seems to have the longest listings. Of course the Navy does updates. They also do some that are retroactive.

If the owner increases the load capacity of the tires please give us the technical reason why this would be bad or why it would not improve the safety of the RV as with going from 0% margin to 10% margin would clearly be an improvement IMO.

I'm sorry if you got the impression I disapprove of increasing existing tire load capacity. There is a right way to do it. As long as It's not done arbitrarily. Increasing a load range from "D" to "E" changes nothing but the load capacity of the tire. The designated size is the same. The tire placard remains valid because both load ranges use the same load inflation chart. To be in compliance with the vehicle manufacturer, an owner should seek their advice before considering design changes or plus sizing. Says so right in the owner's manual. Besides that, it's done by proxy for all normal automotive tire replacements.

If you disagree then I guess folks will need to decide if they want to listen to an actual tire engineer or someone with just an interest in tires

You often give answers outside of the ropes. I strive to avoid that. (aka; FastEagle, Airdale, BlackAces and others.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote