Thread: Miles
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I won't go into some of the "stoopid" things we did in our youth, but in the past 10 years, our longest day was in 2012 when we towed from northern Michigan to "near Effingham" to escape the snow/ice. We had a narrow window of clear, good weather and didn't stop until we were "out of the snow and freezing temperatures". That was about 14 hours and 600 miles in one leg of the trip/, some on ice/snow/slush covered roads.

Our shortest day was in 2014, we left a campground just east of Galesburg, IL and when crossing the railroad tracks in town, I saw a sign for the railroad museum and my DW saw a sign for the Carl Sandburg Museum. We turned around, went back to the campground and parked for another 2 days. Total distance travelled, about 20 miles, total miles toward our destination, 0 miles.

We consider the journey as a part of the trip's enjoyment, so if we see something that we'd like to stop and visit, we stop and visit. No longer do we travel "heads down, full speed ahead" but rather we make the driving a part of where we're headed.... Our attitude has changed from "We've got to get there by XXX" to "We'll get there when we get there"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote