View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #38
Stanbro

Very disappointed with new Alpine

We just purchased a 2018 Alpine 3400RS. We custom ordered it as we wanted full body paint, a generator, and dual-pane windows.

This is my fifth RV so I am no stranger to the issues one encounters with a new RV. Unfortunately this one has a remarkable number of problems and I am very disappointed with the quantity of them and the seriousness of a few:

1) The TPO roof membrane has numerous sharp objects under it that will eventually protrude through it (staples, screws, wood chips, etc.). It appears that the roof was not cleaned before the membrane was stretched over the decking material. I towed the trailer to the Keystone factor in Indiana (2000 miles) and showed the roof to the Customer Support Manager. I was told Keystone will do nothing about it. If it leaks within the warranty period, they will evaluate it then. Which means what -- patches where the objects poke through? - UGH! I wanted them to install a new roof at the factory. After being told by the Customer Support Manager that this was considered "acceptable build quality" I was furious.

OK, your first question is -- Why did you accept the trailer if this is so bad? The answer is -- the day I purchased the unit, the air temp was about 60 and the sky was cloudy. The debris did not appear until the sun came out two days later and the roof membrane got hot and relax enough to conform to the junk under it.

2) The power for the emergency breakaway circuit was wired without a fuse or circuit breaker and the hot wire of the breakaway switch was installed such that it chafed between the front cap and the pin box. It eventually shorted to the pin box which is chassis ground. That wire got extremely hot and melted all of the insulation on that wire, melted the split-loom tubing it was routed in, and melted against the other wires in the loom. It was a #16 wire, wired directly from the battery to the hot side of the breakaway switch. The current draw on that circuit is over 15A. A #16 wire is too small for that current and that it was wired with no over-current protection is unbelievable. Why it did not burn up all the wires in that loom, or the entire trailer when it shorted to the chassis is a mystery. Built to RVIA standards? I think not. I filed a formal complaint with the NHTSA and RVIA as I am concerned other units have been built the same way and there is a high potential for a vehicle fire.

3) The hydraulic "extend" line to the front jacks split and I was not able to put the trailer back onto the truck until I got a new hose assembly built at a local auto parts store.

4) The light fixture over the kitchen island lost pieces of its hardware due to vibration and the pieces got under the driver-side slide during transit from the factory to the dealer. When the slide went in and out a few times after taking delivery, the pieces trapped under the slide damaged the vinyl flooring. I don't see that getting fixed as it is sheet material.

5) The bathroom shower has a chip in the gel coat on the floor so that black color from the underlying fiberglass is showing. I don't know if a workman dropped a tool on it or if it is a manufacturing defect. Either way, I was allowed to leave the factory with the chip in it. QA? I missed this during the PDI.

6) Two of the ceiling fan blades broke off on the trip home from the Keystone factory, apparently due to road shock.

7) The rear screws of the drawer slides that support the kitchen drawers were only 3/8" long and screwed into soft pine. They pulled out of the pine and the drawers were dangling from just the front screws when I opened them. Of course, this only occurred after I was down the road and had opened them a few times.

8) The passenger-side slide is leaving large patches, several feet long, of black marks on the vinyl floor that I scrub away only to have reappear the next time the trailer goes down the road. It seems there is black material on the underside of the slide's leading edge that is rubbing off on the floor due to vibration during travel.

In summary, this unit is NOT up to the quality I expected from a so-called luxury brand. That they did such a poor job on the roof is infuriating. That it is considered "acceptable build quality" is a statement about Keystone's attitude toward quality control and should be a warning to potential buyers.

I purchased this Alpine due to the positive things I read about the Alpine brand and Keystone products of this forum. To say that I am disappointed is an understatement.
Stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote