View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #58
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I didn't know of the existence of a forum like this so of course didn't see or hear all the talk about TVs or quality control. Was not until after I bought it that John directed me to the buyers check list. I joined the list AFTER I had purchased. (Sooooo glad I did )

How to make first time buyers more aware of the issues of RV ownership? Forums like this are great, but how to reach people before they buy?
When I bought my first rig in 1998, I went out looking for some type of Consumer Reports groups for RVs. I discovered RV Consumer Group, which back then published large physical phonebook-sized directories of RV manufacturers and models, with detailed ratings for each one. We made our selection from that information and were extremely pleased with the results. We had a quality rig that lasted us 20 almost problem-free years, with only one delivery-time gotcha (don't remember what it was) and one first-trip gotcha (blown grease seal).

By the time I was in the market for this rig, I had entirely forgotten about the group (now called rv.org and operating on the net) and unreasonably assumed that the quality we found in our previous trailer would be more or less the norm. We sure learned better.

Unfortunately, the group seems to be a shadow of its former self. It used to advertise aggressively, now they just seem to skate along running a website.