View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #32
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Well Rustymax, sounds like you have a lot to think about. I was a Dodge man for twenty years, always gas. For the last 20 years I've been a Ford man except for 6 months when I bought a Chevy. I pulled my first fifthwheel for 189,000 miles with a 1990 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 including a trip from Colorado to Fairbanks Alaska and back. Got 15 MPG towing and never had a problem. The only Diesel ever owned is my current 06 F250 with a 6.0 Powerstroke. I pull a 38 foot Copper Canyon 360 QDS. I've had to replace the Turbo Charger, Head Gaskets, EGR Oil Cooler and valve and a few other things. It runs like a brand new truck now ($8,700's later luckly had an extended warranty) but I only get between 8 and 9.6 MPG. If your going to buy a Diesel take a good look at the Dodge. Cummings have been around forever. With gas being cheaper than diesel I'm really thinking about going back to gas since they get about the same MPG that I'm currently getting. Hey just my 2 cents worth.
Well diesel may cost more than gas, but only about 10% to 15% more, and most diesels get far better fuel mileage empty, they really shine when towing, getting up to twice the mileage as a gas rig, that is something to think about.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote