View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
I use nothing.
Transmission temperature is monitored by vehicle computer unless this is a very old model. In the worse car scenario there should be warning on the screen or limp mode engaged.
The problem is by the time the idiot light is turned on in the truck/car it will be too late to prevent the transmission oil from being damage from heat. The ECM will not protect the transmission since the oil is all ready damage.

I have seen when not towing a high of 230F reading on my transmission gauge for the transmission oil. This occurred doing low speed driving on the Needles highway (87) in SD. I was using the engine exhaust brake and transmission to maintain the Highway speed as we descended the mountain trying not to use the service brakes; so when I need them they would be available to use. So to me the transmission oil gauge is very important as are other gauges that I have added. With an accurate gage you can take preventive action to prevent either further damage or prevent damage to a major component.

When we got home the transmission oil and both of the filters were changed along with the install of a AL MAG-HYTEC pan and the additional amount of 2-1/2 quart oil capacity.

Now when towing I normally see 180F maximum temperature in the transmission oil.

A retired machine design engineer who does not believe in IDIOT lights.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote