View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the new trailer. You are doing the right thing by knowing what you are pulling and getting something appropriate to pull it. Usually folks buy a TV and then buy the RV they've "always wanted" and wish it would fit the weights.

The trailer you have is about 6500 gvw. Hitch might be about 750 or so. That would let a properly equipped (right axle ratio/engine/body/etc.) 1/2 ton do a pretty good job. The trailer is only 25' so the 1/2 ton, with WDH/sway will do OK with that. The question is....is that going to be the right truck?

This is your first trailer; you both are retiring and going to do some extensive traveling. IS the trailer going to be what you want after a year of that? I know you're used to tent camping but I also know that after staying in an RV for extended periods, especially in bad weather, it kind of gets cramped feeling (especially for DW). Search you hearts on that then make the truck choice. I would go with nothing less than a full 1/2 ton from one of the big 3 with their biggest V8 and best towing package so the towing would be as uneventful as possible. If you think there is a HINT that you might want something bigger, just go for the 3/4 right now and save yourself a lot of money (even a 1 ton if you think you might go that big). Good luck and let us know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote