View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I leave our 2 6volts in the RV over the winter months and the unit is not plugged into shore power during this entire period. I do plug it in for a couple of days on a regular basis and for longer periods when the temperatures drop below freezing for extended periods.

As part of my maintenance, I check the battery water levels regularly and top up with distilled water when necessary.

As long as the batteries are not left to discharge or in a state of low voltage and have their plates covered, you should be okay to leave them in. I've have used 6v Trojans for many years and have never encountered problems with leaving them in the unit or by using a 3-stage converter/charger over the winter months which incorporates a float charge as part of the charging cycle.

One other reason for not bringing them is that both are kept in a battery box which does not have any room for me to get a good grip on a single battery to remove it from the box and the front storage compartment. They are heavy brutes which need to be lifted over the "lip" of the compartment.