View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
bbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB Rig View Post
Thanks, BBells. Good knowledge! As newbies, we didn't know about our existing batteries. We're wondering if the rig originally shipped with these batteries.

We're entertaining one battery option and an alternative to conventional solar panels, and can further use your knowledge and expertise ....

Weight is a definite concern for our rig. So, we're considering installing MiaSolé flex panels as a permanent solar solution. Their panels boast 16.5% efficiency, are unbreakable, and weigh far less than conventional panels. We've taken all the necessary measurements and can possibly get at least 1200w on the roof, but only if we remove the "bat" antenna. We don't watch TV, so we're not going to miss it a bit. Are you familiar with the flex solar "peel and stick" panels?

As for batteries, our first option is to purchase Clean Energy Storage's PowerGrid box that includes either a 24 or 48v 7.6kwh 330ah LiFeMnPO4 battery that has a 7-minute DOD charge to 90% capacity. The plug and play box also includes a 6K inverter, a smart charger, and mounted interconnects.

All pretty cool.
Just a couple things. 7600w/1200w = 6 hours of direct sun needed to charge. Since you will only be discharging at most 50%, you should be able to completely charge your panels every day, unless you park under a tree. You could probably get away with skipping one panel and leave the antenna. I agree with the 24-48v battery packs. It is the only way to get efficiency. Some people are forced to use 12v systems since their RV charger is 12v and they want to be able too use both. Most get 24v panels to charge the 12v battery pack - With the right controller. Not real efficient, but they are less expensive per watt. I stopped my biz when the tariffs hit on the panels. It just about doubled the price for most panels - Making them unrealistic for most people since it is impossible to find USA made panels that are affordable and have any quality. Therefore no real experience with the flex panels. When they first came out I had a couple questions about them that I never answered. 1) Can they handle hail hitting them straight on? Most panels are at an angle and get glancing blows. 2) When you have a wiring problem or breakdown on one, can you easily remove it? 3) If they are tightly glued on the entire back, what happens when temperatures flex the roof and panels differently? On the other hand, how much of that can happen in the 3-5 year avg ownership of an RV? Sorry I can't be more help.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote