View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 07:50 AM   #49
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
More truck is better (within reason) Dad had a livestock feed business. I would travel 40 miles twice a day with 80 bags of feed which equaled 4,000 lbs. Day in.....day out, never a glitch with a 3/4 ton pick-up.
We always considered 1/2 ton trucks to be "city trucks", "Gentleman Farmers" trucks, city trucks.
Farmers and construction guys always used 3/4 ton trucks for tow ability and most important of all: CARRY CAPACITY.
A Ford F-250 either gas or diesel depending if you run mountains or not would be a great choice.
A friend of mine who was a Ford Service Manager has always steered me towards the gas side. He is a firm believer in the ability of the F-250. He always says it is closer to a 1 ton truck in ability than being a 3/4 ton truck.

We're still in a holding pattern to drop the coin on a Cougar as my wife is about two years from retirement. When we finally do it........it will be towed with a F-250 Gasser. I like Gas as my buddy says: parts are available everywhere, just about any shop anywhere can work on it if needed, between higher maintenance and additional cost of diesel it offsets the increase in MPG that the diesel gives. With proper P.M. the gasser will last as long as the diesel
BUT:
If we decide to run primarily Colorado or to the East West Va then I would be tempted to go Diesel simply to get the exhaust brake.
I have a 2016 F250 gas. Great truck. Love it. Rides just as nice as the F-150 I used to have. We own a grain business so I also have 1-2 tons in the bed on a regular basis.
First “long” trip with the trailer was 200 miles into a 20mph headwind the entire way. Truck pretty much camped out in third gear and 2500-3000 rpm’s the entire way. 5 mpg. Diesel would have been nice in that instance.

One piece of advise if going gas. Order the tallest gear ratio the factory offers. I think it’s either 4.10 or 4.33. Can’t remember. I have the 3.73 and while it’s fine it would have lowered the rpm or allowed the truck to get into 4th gear. Also it raises the max gcvw numbers (although you will probably max out somewhere else first.).
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote