View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just an observation (based on living in "good ole boy" country for years).....

Government enforcement of any law is "haphazard at best"... how many drivers do you see "driving and texting", exceeding the speed limit, not wearing a seat belt, running a stop sign, kids in the front seat, no registration, stolen license plate (from the wife's car to get to work), just to name a few....

Government regulations isn't the answer. Making people accountable for their actions is.... (IMHO)...

Now, assume Michigan (I'll pick on my own residence) enacts a law that dealerships MUST confirm the buyer has a vehicle capable to tow the trailer being purchased.... That buyer comes in with a rental 1 ton truck from Home Depot ($19.95 for 4 hours) or with his BIL's dually. He states, "I'm never going to tow unless I use this borrowed/rented truck"... How do you deny him the right to purchase the trailer????

Before you answer, think about the last 30 days on this forum and the number of threads where the buyer "bought a large travel trailer/fifth wheel "specifically to "park it on their property while they build a house, use it for 2 years as a permanent residence or put it in a long term campground with no plans to move it after it's set in place"......

As Laredo Tugger said, you get the lobby groups, industry insiders, etc working against it, you also get "legitimate purchasers" who don't own such a vehicle and have no plans to ever need one..... Such laws are extremely difficult to enact because of all the "carve-outs" that are legitimate.... Besides (without getting too political) there's a whole world of much more important government business that has "world wide implicaitons" that isn't being worked on. Adding this to the pile, it might get looked at in 15 or 20 years based on priority.....
Completely agree. First the "Appropriate tow vehicle statute" for trailers. Then what? Will you have a law stating that auto dealers are to REQUIRE purchasers of 7 passenger SUV's/minivans have their family weighed to ensure that they are not exceeding the carrying capacity?

While I agree it's a far from ideal system I don't see legislation solving it. We have laws against driving drunk,murder,rape, stealing, selling drugs, and yes overloading trucks.

You can't legislate morality or common sense. Education, IMHO is the only cure for societal ills.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote